There are several opportunities across the District for students to share their presentation skills, including a communication contest by Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students, public speaking competitions in French, as well as a chance for elementary students to share their stories with an audience. Scroll down to learn more.
Deaf and Hard of Hearing students from Kindergarten to Grade 12 competed at the second annual DHHproud Showcase. Put on by the District-administered Provincial Outreach Program, Deaf and Hard of Hearing, the event brought together children and youth from across the province for a series of contests on the theme, “This is my Deaf/Hard of Hearing World.”
Several students from Burnaby Schools earned top honours:
Category: Spotlight (Communication Contest)
- Teanna Kay, BC Provincial School for the Deaf (BCSD), 1st place
Category: ASL Poetry
- Thea Verster, BCSD, 1st place
- Hanna Mochinaga, BCSD, 2nd place
- Kathleen Johnston, BCSD, 3rd place
- Artem Malinovsky, BCSD, 1st place
- Akbar Armon, BCSD, 2nd place
- Japjot Bawa, BCSD, 3rd place
Category: DHH Art
- Thea Verster, BCSD, 2nd place
- Aurelia Braun, BCSD, 3rd place
- Mateo Hospina, Forest Grove Elementary, 1st place
- Kaori Ariga, South Slope Elementary, 2nd place
- Baowen Yan, Byrne Creek Community School, 2nd place
- Izabella Kamaeva, Burnaby Mountain Secondary, 3rd place
Concours d’art Oratoire
Students had the chance to show off their French language skills at a public speaking competition put on by Canadian Parents for French. The District had several winners and participants in Concours d’art Oratoire, including École Brantford Elementary students who placed first and second in their categories and École Moscrop Secondary students, who took a bite out of the competition and earned medals.
Sharing Our Stories
Grade 6 and 7 students are taking part in a district-wide opportunity called Sharing Our Stories. A reimagining of the former Grade 7 Public Speaking Challenge, students were invited to present about “an authentic moment.” Zonal showcases will be held in May where the top presenters will share their stories with one another and guests.
Posted April 2023