Are you new to Canada with a valid Citizenship & Immigration Canada Work or Study Permit, or Refugee Claimant Document? To begin the eligibility process to register non-fee paying international students, you must book an appointment.


Just moved to Burnaby and wish to register your child into a public school for the upcoming school year? Find out what school your child should attend by using the School Locator, then call the school during the last week of August for registration information.

For further registration enquiries, email:

Registration Procedures and Required Documentation

Under the British Columbia School Act, an educational program will be provided for every school-aged student who is ordinarily a resident in Burnaby. Additionally, the Board of Education has established policy that allows for students who meet the district’s admission eligibility regulation and who reside outside of Burnaby or who are temporarily a resident in Burnaby, the opportunity to attend a Burnaby public school. To establish enrolment eligibility, every student seeking admission to a Burnaby school is required to provide documentation establishing residency, guardianship, age and citizenship.

Students register at the school within the designated attendance area where the student ordinarily resides or make application to attend another school or educational program within the district. (see student transfers below) The School Locator can help you determine the attendance area your address is associated with.

There are a number of factors and priorities that determine a student’s placement in a Burnaby school.

Additional ranking criteria will be used to determine admission if space in a desired school or district program is limited.


Click on the registration information specific to your child:
Kindergarten students
Students going into grade 8

Students new to district
Student transfers – cross-district and out-of-district
Newcomers to Canada
International students
Residents with uncertain or no immigration status


Language Program Options require an application. 

Early French Immersion is a language program option for students entering kindergarten or grade 1.

Mandarin Language Arts is a language program option offered at Forest Grove Elementary for students entering kindergarten through to grade 7.

For Early French Immersion, begin by finding the school that offers this program within your designated catchment. Then register at the school designated as your catchment school (regardless of whether they offer French Immersion or not) and include with this registration form, a district language program application.

Late French Immersion is an option for students entering grade 6. A district language program application must be submitted to your current Burnaby public school or the school that offers this program.

Learn more about placement priority for District Language Programs.


Learn more about elementary & secondary Programs of Choice. Speak to a Career Advisor, Counsellor, or Secondary Principal for more information and to apply.

Read our feature about secondary program options.

Updated January 2020