As a district, we have made space available in our schools and on our properties for service providers to offer high quality child care programs for over 35 years.
In September 2019, in its strategic plan, the Burnaby Board of Education deepened its long-standing commitment to supporting families with child care when trustees set an objective to increase the number of spaces available on our properties. After a period of extensive consultation with parent groups, child care providers, and other stakeholders, the District released its plan to partner with the Province of BC and City of Burnaby to increase childcare spaces on school properties by 60% with the following child care providers at these eight locations:
- 18 spaces at Rosser Elementary – Lower Mainland Purpose Society
- 20 spaces at Stride Avenue Community School – Burnaby Neighbourhood House
- 91 spaces at Westridge Elementary – Puddle Splashers
- 67 spaces at Cascade Heights Elementary – YMCA
- 78 spaces at Marlborough Elementary – Burnaby Neighborhood House
- 54 spaces at Suncrest Elementary – Burnaby Neighborhood House
- 103 spaces at Marian Learning Resource Centre – SFU Child Care Society
- 23 spaces at Burnaby North Secondary Puddle Splashers
- 47 spaces at Stride Avenue Community School – Burnaby Neighborhood House
- The City of Burnaby and School District have installed modular child care facilities at Capitol Hill and Montecito Elementary schools adding 50 3 to 5-year-old spaces, and is working to install an additional unit at Stride Avenue Community School.
- The Capitol Hill site was awarded to Lower Mainland Purpose Society and the Montecito site was awarded to Burnaby Family Life. These childcare providers are responsible for the enrollment process for each centre.
- Funding for an additional 160 spaces was announced by the Ministry of Children and Family Development in May 2021. Read the press release from the Government of BC – May 21, 2021
With management by the District, the Ministry is investing $4.74 million into the construction for buildings on site at these elementary schools:
- Brentwood Park Elementary Child care – 24 spaces
- Kitchener Elementary Child care – 34 spaces
- Parkcrest Elementary Child care – 34 spaces
- Stoney Creek Community School Child care – 34 spaces
- Twelfth Avenue Elementary Child care – 34 spaces
The child care centre at Brentwood Park will house 24 before and after school spaces, while the other four centres will have 24 before and after school spaces plus 10 preschool spots – all of which will be run by a non-profit child-care provider selected by the District.
Completion of planning and construction for the space involving the additional 160 spaces funded this May is anticipated to take two years, with opening of the new spaces projected for January 2023.
Child Care Request for Proposal Process
There are currently no active child care Request for Proposals.
Active Request For Proposals (RFP) are posted on www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca
For more information about the RFP process, please email email@example.com
New Child Care Spaces in Burnaby Schools (June 2021)
Learn About How a School Expansion Also Supports Child Care (January 2020)
For information about available child care space in Burnaby schools, please contact the child care provider directly. Child care provider contact information can be found by clicking on the link below.
Licensed Preschool and Out-of-School Care in Burnaby Schools (updated July 2021)