The application process is now CLOSED for the 2023/24 school year. Please return in February 2024 to apply for the 2024-25 school year.
To apply for the program please click here
For students and families considering Mandarin Language Arts, click on the video below to learn more.
The Burnaby Board of Education is committed to providing students with unique learning options. Developed in Burnaby, the Mandarin Language Arts Program offers an enriching and rewarding opportunity for students to celebrate and appreciate an additional language and culture.
- An option for children entering Kindergarten or Grade one
- The program goes up to Grade 7
- It is offered at Forest Grove Elementary School
- Students study the regular core curriculum in English as prescribed by the Ministry of Education
- A component of the Language Arts curriculum will be delivered in Mandarin
- The program is designed for students who have strong English language skills
The program will develop
- Mandarin oral communication skills
- Reading and writing skills (Chinese simplified language)
- An understanding of and appreciation for Mandarin Chinese culture
Students new to Burnaby Schools will first need to complete the Online Preliminary Registration for your child’s catchment school. Please visit our Registration Page for further details.
Once the Online Preliminary Registration is completed for your child’s catchment school, an application for the Mandarin Language Arts Program can be completed in February.