The purpose of Burnaby’s English Language Learning supports is to assist students to develop the language skills and knowledge necessary for success in Canadian schools. ELL services are designed to strengthen the intellectual, social and career development of students by helping them to:
- improve their ability to communicate fluently in English at school and in the wider community.
- acquire the English needed to make academic progress within the B.C. school system and realize their potential.
- develop their other academic skills (e.g., numeracy, scientific understanding, group participation).
- develop an understanding of the similarities and differences between their home culture and the Canadian culture.
Burnaby Welcome Centre is where new to Burnaby students’ English skills are assessed so that they can receive the support they need at their schools. An assessment is recommended for students who have additional languages at home.
Students new to the Burnaby School District are assessed by the Welcome Centre if they:
- have spent 4 years or less in a English-speaking school system in an English-speaking country or received ELL support in previous school.
- speak languages in addition to English.