Tier 2 Essential Service Workers are defined by the Government of BC as those essential service workers other than Tier 1 (Tier 1 includes: Health and Health Services, Social Services, Law Enforcement, First Responders and Emergency Response). More information about essential service workers is in the backgrounder at the bottom of the page here.
Services Available – Regular School Hours
We are working hard to support Burnaby children from Kindergarten to Grade 6 whose parents are essential service workers.
If you are a Tier 2 Essential Service Worker and:
- you have exhausted all other opportunities for supervision for your child
- you are unable to work from home
- you are a Burnaby resident, and
- you need support for your child in order to fulfill your role
we will do our best to accommodate you.
Please be aware that:
- spaces may be limited due to physical distancing requirements of both children and staff
- these services are available Monday to Friday from 9am – 3pm
- there are no fees attached to this service
- while this ongoing learning experience will be facilitated by school district staff, it is not designed to be a direct replacement for your child’s regular school day program
- children of essential service workers will continue to have their own classroom teacher(s) support them remotely, as is the case with all students in the Burnaby School District
- children will be placed in multi-age groupings, located in designated school sites, which, for convenience, are the same sites offering before and after school childcare, and
- while we will do our best to provide service at a school site that is most convenient, spaces at sites may be limited due to physical distancing requirements of both children and staff.
As we continue to navigate these uncertain times together, parents who can are asked to care for their children at home. If you need support and you have exhausted all other opportunities for supervision for your child, please contact us at email@example.com.
Services Available – Before and After Regular School Hours
The Burnaby School District partners with a number of on-site childcare providers and is working collaboratively with them to provide services for children of essential service workers.
Please note that:
- these services are available Monday to Friday before and after school hours
- fees may vary depending on the childcare provider
- we can connect you with one of our childcare partners and ask when you reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org about the services from 9am-3pm to let us know that you also need support before and after regular school hours, and
- while we and our childcare partners will do our best to accommodate you, spaces may be limited due to physical distancing requirements of both children and staff.
It is critical for the health and well-being of us all that children who are sick or have any illness symptoms must stay home.
Updated April 15, 2020