To reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19, BC’s Provincial Health Officer recommends the following:
- Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds using soap and water.
- If a sink is not available, alcohol-based hand rubs can be used to clean hands if they are not visibly soiled. If they are visibly soiled using a wipe and then alcohol-based hand rubs are effective.
- Do not touch your face/eyes/mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough with a disposable tissue or the crease of your elbow.
- Regularly clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces. Regular household cleaning products are effective against most viruses.
- Stay home if you are sick and away from others so you don’t pass it on.
- Be mindful of physical and social distancing – keeping about two metres (six feet) from each other to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 and making one another sick.
See our tools to help support awareness of what physical and social distancing means for families and people who aren’t telecommuting.
Updated April 2, 2020