Frequently Asked Questions

The availability calendar said space was free, why am I being told it's not?

The availability calendar is there to get a general idea of what could be available. The schools keep their own calendars, also the principals have the right to refuse a rental if they so choose. There are many other factors that contribute to whether we can proceed with the rental date or not. Once you submit your form for approval we go through those final steps to confirm availability for you.

Can you let me know what is definitely available before I fill in the application?

Unfortunately, no. We do need the information in the form in order to send the request to the schools. The schools need the information to see if they have a space that works for you. All of the availability checking and approval is done by contacting the school so there is no quick way to confirm, for example, which gyms are free for your requested day.

How long is the wait after application?

We make the effort to respond to a request within 7 business days. However as we do need to contact the schools regarding availability it may take longer.

Can I visit the school to see the facilities?
Please contact Facility Rentals to check availability first. We will coordinate an appropriate time with the school to view the space.
What equipment is provided with the rental?

Furniture such as desks, tables and chairs are included if requested and available. Groups are responsible for doing their own setup and teardown so please book time slots accordingly. Custodial service for setup/teardowns can be booked at extra cost.

PE/athletic equipment such as score clocks, volleyballs, basketballs, soccer balls, etc are not included in the rental. You are expected to bring your own. Some schools may approve the use of specific equipment such as volleyball nets and posts but this must be confirmed at time of booking. Groups are responsible for setting up nets/posts and putting away any equipment after the event.


Can I rent the school for a social event?

Unfortunately, no. We do not allow rentals for social events such as weddings, birthday parties and dances.

How do I get into the building?

A district representative will unlock the facility for you, and lock it once you are done.

Can I serve alcohol?

Serving of any alcoholic beverages is not permitted on school properties without written approval of the Secretary-Treasurer. An approval letter must be applied for in writing to the Secretary-Treasurer, c/o Burnaby School District, 4054 Norfolk Street, Burnaby, BC V5G 0C3. For more information please contact Deanna Azzara at (604) 296-6900 ext. 661004.

What happens if it snows?

School closure information will be posted on the district website. You can also view our winter weather procedures for a listing of radio stations that will provide updates.