WHAT DOES A FITNESS INSTRUCTOR DO?
- group fitness programs such as aerobic or spin classes
- works as a fitness coach/consultant developing personalized programs for clients
WHAT DO I NEED TO START?
- entering grade 11 or 12
- good employability and people skills
- strong interest in entering industry
- physical fitness and good health
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- 20 graduation credits
- up to 120 hours of work experience
- excellent preparation for those interested in pursuing careers in kinesiology, physiotherapy and sports medicine
- building connections with industry employers
- industry certification as a Weight Training Instructor and a Health & Wellness Practitioner
- CPRand Emergency First Aid certification
- Fitness Leader recognition with BC Recreation and Parks Association
- Canadian Fitness Education Services (CFES) Fitness Theory and Weight Training Instructor certification
- credit for Douglas College course: conditioning for Sport & Physical Activity (SPSC 1103)
- transition to Douglas College with an option for 2-year diploma or Sports Science degree
- decreased post-secondary tuition costs
- scholarship opportunities
WHEN AND WHERE IS THE PROGRAM OFFERED?
- Burnaby South Secondary School: mornings
- attend current school in afternoons to complete other courses
Please note that for the 2021-2022 School year, all Burnaby Schools will be running on a semestered system. This change will impact the schedules of our programs. See below for the current schedule:
- Burnaby South Semester 1, Full Time
- Work Experience Semester 1 and 2
HOW DO I REGISTER?
- submit an application package
- participate in an interview