As circumstances develop globally, the province is providing regular updates to British Columbians on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). The Minister of Health and Provincial Health Officer have consistently reassured people that the risk of spread of this virus within BC remains low at this time.
The Burnaby School District takes direction from the Fraser Health Authority and is in regular communication with them, as well as the Ministries of Health and Education. Fraser Health advises families with health questions to contact 811. Fraser Health is also providing answers online to the public about questions, including those related to schools.
We will continue to share the latest updates and advice from the province.
The Province is also asking that people note the following provincial recommendations on travel related self-isolation:
- The Provincial Health Officer is advising people who have been to Hubei province in the last 14 days, or who have been in contact with someone who has, to call public health officials and self-isolate for 14 days.
- The Provincial Health Officer is also advising that anyone who is concerned they may have been exposed to, or are experiencing symptoms of, the coronavirus should contact their primary care provider, local public health office or call 811. Translation services for 811 are available in more than 130 languages.
Reducing the Risk
BC’s Provincial Health Officer recommends the following to reduce the risk of novel coronavirus, colds and flu:
- Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds using soap and water.
- If a sink is not available, alcohol-based hand rubs (ABHR) can be used to clean hands if they are not visibly soiled. If they are visibly soiled using a wipe and then ABHR is effective.
- Do not touch your face/eyes/mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough with a disposable tissue or the crease of your elbow.
- Regularly clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces. Regular household cleaning products are effective against most viruses.
- Stay home if you are sick and away from others so you don’t pass it on.
Useful Links Shared by the Ministry of Education with all school districts
- Ministry of Health response plans – https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics/pandemic-influenza
- Novel Coronavirus Q&A from HealthLinkBC: https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-feature/coronavirus
- BC Centre for Disease Control: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/coronavirus-(novel)
- Government of Canada – Novel Coronavirus in China Travel Health Notice: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/210
Last updated February 19, 2020