The Burnaby School District invites parents and guardians to attend an information session that is part of an expanded provincial school-based gang prevention program.
- Thursday, May 16th at 6:30 – 8:30pm (doors open at 6 pm)
- Burnaby Central Secondary (theatre), 6011 Deer Lake Parkway
The presentation will provide a range of information, including:
- what a youth gang is and what attracts young people to the gang lifestyle
- warning signs for families to look for
Attendees will hear from:
- Keiron McConnell, from the Safer Schools Together team, who has worked exclusively in gang prevention, intervention and suppression for the last 15 years; and
- Jordan Buna, a former gang member who now speaks to youth about the dangers.
The information night enhances the work the Burnaby School District is already doing with partners to support students with the knowledge and skills they need to make safe choices. The presentation is part of the larger provincial initiative to raise early awareness around gang involvement in BC and is connected to the province’s ERASE (Expect Respect and a Safe Education) strategy, which is designed to support safe and caring school communities.