Burnaby is included in the special air quality statement issued by Environment Canada, due to concentrations of fine particulate matter caused by smoke from wildfires in BC and Washington State.
The Burnaby School District is monitoring the situation and is working to limit smoke exposure for students and staff by:
- Closing exterior doors and windows and utilizing filtered ventilation systems;
- Postponing or reducing outdoor activities, particularly strenuous physical activities;
- Limiting extra-curricular outdoor athletic events;
- Allowing students who are sensitive to the smoke to remain indoors during lunch and breaks;
- Monitoring closely students with asthma or other breathing conditions.
Posted October 19, 2022