WHAT DOES A FITNESS INSTRUCTOR DO?
- group fitness programs such as aerobic or spin classes
- works as a fitness coach/consultant developing personalized programs for clients
WHAT DO I NEED TO START?
- entering grade 11 or 12
- good employability and people skills
- strong interest in entering industry
- physical fitness and good health
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- 20 graduation credits
- community-based work experience placements
- excellent preparation for those interested in pursuing careers in kinesiology, physiotherapy and sports medicine
- building connections with industry employers
- CPR and Emergency First Aid certification
- Fitness Leader recognition with BC Recreation and Parks Association
- Canadian Fitness Education Services (CFES) Fitness Theory and Weight Training Instructor certification
- credit for Douglas College course: conditioning for Sport & Physical Activity (SPSC 1103)
- transition to Douglas College with an option for 2-year diploma or Sports Science degree
WHEN AND WHERE IS THE PROGRAM OFFERED?
- Burnaby South Secondary School
- Mornings (first & second period) from September to June
- Attend your regular school in the afternoon (third & fourth period)
HOW DO I REGISTER?
- submit an application package
- participate in an interview